Over the past weeks I was assigned a few pages in Gail Thompkin's book (2012) about the genre of journaling. I can honestly say the idea of journaling has changed and evoloved for me over the years in my life. What started out as writing every week to my elementary teachers in a notebook is now one of the best ways to project my thoughts on my own online "blogging journal" kept for a gradaute class. Essentially, both have allowed me to say my thoughts and ideas with the premise that it is a "safe place" to lay down what I think, where others will not pass judgement.
Thompkins (2012) cites that "students write in journals for a variety of purposes: to record experiences, to explore ideas, to ask questions, activate prior knowledge, engage the imagination, to assume the role of another person, and to ask questions" (p. 108). I would agree that no matter what kind of journal you are keeping, it is usually to address one of these purposes. As a young child learning the writing workshop process, journal writing is always introduced early on because it is fairly easy for students to do independently. Not only is it something that can be taught and implemented quickly, students also enjoy writing their own journals. There is something about letting one's own ideas flow freely that is very pleasant. Young children enjoy keeping an open discussion going with their teachers about what they did over the weekend, what their favorite foods are, what they hope to get for Christmas, or any other topic that allows them to talk about light conversation starters. I wish that these types of journals were still acceptable in college and the work- force; imagine the things we would learn about one another at such a quick pace.
Journals are introduced not only to keep an open, honest conversation with students, but also because there are a variety of purposes that journals serve in the writing process. For example, Thompkins (2012) says that personal journals, dialogue journals, reading logs, double entry journals, and stimulated journals are all important types to implement in elementary classrooms. Thompkins goes on to state that these journals "help students deepen their comprehension of stories, focus on ideas, develop writing fluency, and relate reading to their own lives" (pp. 108-112).
I know in my own life, journals were a huge part of the reason I enjoyed writing, and still do today. This type of writing taught me the basic fundamentals of how to become a better writer, and showed me even though you want to spell correctly and have correct grammar, its the content and ideas that truly matter. This is what we need to express to students today, as well.
To introduce journal writing to students, Thompkins (2012) suggests that teachers start this on the first day of school. Also, it is important for teachers to keep a list of possible writing topics posted around the classroom for novice teachers to hinder that feeling of "I don't know what to write" that a lot of students feel. Moreover, mini lessons are essential for teaching successful journaling. Thompkins (2012) suggests that "teachers explain the procedures for gathering ideas, writing in a journal, and sharing with classmates. They often model the procedure by writing a sample entry on the smartboard or on chart paper as students observe" (p. 124).
Overall, I really do see the benefit of writing many types of journals in elementary school. This is a great way for students to become accostomed to the writing process in a fun and engaging way.
Kristine, you clearly have a very well thought-out conceptualization for the uses of journaling. I really appreciate how you use Tompkins' quotes as a way to further substantiate your positions. I am left wondering though, do you think reading the chapter simply confirmed what you knew or do you think it helped you to gain any new questions?
ReplyDeleteHad you ever thought about how to increase students' vocabulary through using journals?
Dr.Jones, I am definitely left with some questions after I had read this chapter. First of all, what kind of journals would be best to implement in classrooms for students with special needs? Students who cannot get their thoughts out in a written manner, or even just in an organized way? Is this where possibly podcasts could come in and be a better option? Also, what should be the grading/ reviewing process for journals? If teachers are pushing their students to write in these journals everyday/ week, then it IS the teacher's responsibility to read and respond to the children in a timely manner. However, should these journals be graded? or just responded to and checked off for participation points? I feel that a students' journal is a place where they can go to write whatever they are feeling, and not have to worry about writing a "published piece". This is where the students' true feelings and emotions are uncovered.
ReplyDeleteAs far as increasing students' vocabulary through using journals, I think it can be done. I just do not know the best method for doing it. Whether it is by word walls, personal "student dictionary" kept in the child's desk, or sight words,these can all help a student when they need help writing a word in their journals. A journal is also a place for students to experiment using more sophisticated words, or words that they have heard but do not quite know just how to use it. (The teacher can respond and let the student know if they have used the word correctly or not).