I have found that teachers use a variety of ways to introduce this topic to students. For example, using a combination of mini lessons, mentor texts, and guided practice, students have the ability to learn about each trait and then use it independently during writing workshop.
Voice is the writer’s distinctive style, or how the writer brings “their own voice” into the piece. When a student truly cares about what they are writing about, you can tell because the reader can actually hear the writers’ voice shining through (silently). There is also a stronger passion that is very obvious throughout the piece.
Word choice is how the writer chooses the words that he or she puts into the piece. Students must be taught to use words for a specific purpose, and to convey the meaning appropriately. Descriptive language, powerful (accurate), and “million- dollar words” are all encouraged here to add depth to the writing. I found that when I am struggling to find the right word to use instead of the same words over and over again, I turn to a thesaurus for a breath of fresh air.
Sentence fluency is the rhythm and flow of language. Using long and short sentences is a great way to make the piece original, while still being able to read easily. Some students may find this trait to be difficult because they have always been taught about using short, effective sentences. It is important to stress to students that their writing has to sound natural when reading it aloud to their audience, which means that sentence patterns must vary.
Conventions refer to the spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar usage. In other words, what most young students have the greatest trouble with already. At this young age, children are still learning a lot of the conventions used in Standard English, so this goes hand in hand. After writing their rough draft, students should be encouraged to proofread for these types of mistakes before writing their final draft.
Presentation is the final step to make their writing piece look polished. This means, students either very neatly handwrite their final copy, or turn to a computer to word process it. The students should be told to use appropriate margins, create a title, and even incorporate illustrations.
Kristine, this is another great overview of some of the main points from the readings (coming soon). I am wondering though what questions are the readings raising for you? Did you, by any chance, look at any of the questions posed at the end of the Tompkins chapter on the 6+1 traits? I wonder if you have ever asked yourself any of these questions?
ReplyDeleteDr. Jones, I did take a look at the questions posed at the end of the chapter, and I do find myself asking these and similar questions. For one thing, I do sometimes feel overwhelmed (like most teachers) about where to begin teaching this. I find myself asking, "is there a trait that needs to be taught first?" and "how can I fit this into other topics in the writing process such as author's study". Like Thompkins (2012) points out, there is no recommended sequence to starting this, it is wise to start out with ideas and then go from there. This makes sense because students need to begin writing about what really interests them. Finally, Thompkins gives great advice, in which students can write letters or email authors to tell to ask them questions about how they organize their writing, invent dialogue, or use other traits. My last question is not found in the book-- and it is how often (how many days a week) should we be implementing the 6+1 traits of writing? Is it something that should be worked on every single day? Or a couple times a week?
ReplyDelete