Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dear Dr. Jones...

Dr. Jones,

Overall, I have to say, I am really enjoying this class. When I had signed up for this semester, I did not know much about what we would be exploring and digging deeper into. I had originally thought this class would just teach me a better way to introduce the writing process to elementary students. Little did I know, we would be using and implementing digital tools, such as blogs, wikis, GOOGLE readers, and GOOGLE docs. This has been rewarding for me because prior to taking this class, I had no practice with any of these new technology devices. In a world that is rapidly changing, especially technology wise, educators need to be up to speed on every aspect, because you can bet that the incoming students know EXACTLY how to use them! Moreover, I enjoy writing in my blog every week because it bridges the gaps from the required readings and my own thoughts about the topics. I can make connections, ask questions, and respond to classmates' posts to increase my own learning. It is definitely a new concept and way of writing for me, but honestly has enhanced my learning thus far. I also enjoy writing/ responding to the weekly reading discussion questions in the forum. This type of conversing with students and classmates is extremely beneficial because it takes the discussion to a whole new level, rather than the usual classroom "yes I agree" conversation. I like being able to respond with an intelligent answer, along with quotes or a link to back up my statement regarding the readings.

I completely agree with the quote you posted by Donald Graves (2004), "Writing is, after all, a medium for learning to think" (p. 90). This is what EVERYONE should be doing as they are writing, reconsidering, questioning, discovering and synthesizing. Unfortunately, when most people write, myself included, we just quickly jot down whatever is being asked of us without fully wondering why it is that we are even writing. There is no deeper meaning to it at all. Before taking this class, I viewed writing as a much easier task than reading, because I felt that reading needed questioning and clarifying, but how wrong I was! The kind of writing I am now doing in this class has exceeded what I ever thought it could be. I find myself writing much longer passages, and digging deeper into the meanings of questions and responses. So in essence, I am CHOOSING to write in this manner, because I see how I am benefitting from it and growing as a writer. I find it to be interesting as well because we are not just writing on paper with a pen, or as a Microsoft word document.
 I really enjoy the topics I am reading and writing about; therefore, I have much more to say about them, which in turn means passionate writing.  In order to fully engage in while writing, I will need to change a few reading/ writing habits. First of all, I will find what truly interests me, and write about that. When a writer is completely engaged in what they are writing, they are almost always very connected/ interested in the topic, which leads to an intriguing piece. Also, I will remember that good writing is that in which the writer is questioning, discovering, clarifying, and synthesizing; the audience will never be left with after-thoughts. Finally, I will leave behind the notion that all good writing has to be a long piece, because a good writer can say what they mean and still be engaging if they are concise.

In class, you have taught us instructional strategies and learning activities that I can take with me to my future classrooms and help my students. One that comes to mind that I really like for getting started with the writing process is the card strategy we worked on last week. I think this is a fun, engaging technique for students to hone in on a certain topic, and organize it the way that makes sense to them. If I had known of this strategy growing up, I think my papers would be much more organized! Also, I like the idea of discussion forums that you have taught the class, although, I believe this would be beneficial for older students who are more accustomed to the computer and internet (probably middle school/ high school).

At this point in the semester, I am not really having any struggles with the class. It really is something that I need to battle internally with staying organized and budgeting my time wisely. I am also in my first clinic, and have a lot of weekly work that needs to get done along with my work for this class, so it is my responsibility to make sure it is all getting done. I always make sure to have my readings with me while I am substituting, that way during my lunch hours and breaks, I can get work done.

I am looking forward to the expert group presentation and the genre piece project as they are coming up quickly.

Sincerely,
Kristine Conderman

2 comments:

  1. Kristine, this is a great letter. I appreciate all the points you make regarding how you are benefiting from this course. Even more so, what I find really engaging is the voice you use. It seems so easy and natural. Did you find your writing flowed as you wrote this piece? I wonder.....do you think it would help you if you thought you were writing me (and possibly also your classmates) a letter when you write your future entries? As you have noticed, sometimes I have commented that you ideas seem a bit forced in your other posts.... and now I am wondering if you thought you were speaking to us directly, would it help you feel you were talking more easily with yourself (i.e., engaging in reflecting)? Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Jones, I do believe my ideas flowed more freely when I was writing this letter. I think it was easier for me to write in this voice because it allowed me to be reflective of my experiences. I think from now on, my entries will be written more in a letter format as if I were writing to you or my classmates.

    ReplyDelete