As I look back on this semester, we have explored many different topics ranging from digital literacies to the many genres of writing. Although I have been introduced to these genres before throughout my years of formal schooling, I can honestly say I have gotten a much deeper understanding now. By incorporating group presentations based around each genre to supplement the assigned readings, I have a better idea of how to implement these genres into my future classrooms. What I find interesting is how after earning my Bachelor's Degree in English, I still feel uneasy with instructing students in these genres (ESPECIALLY POETRY)! However, I do know some types of writng come more naturally than others, but I want to feel prepared with strategties for students of all ages.
At the beginning of this class, I can honestly say I felt very comfortable with the descriptive, narrative, and expository genres. I understand how to write freely in these genres, and even to go into a classroom and feel confident in myself to instruct very young learners about these types of reading and writing. In my own writing, I always tend to waver towards writing in the narrative or descriptive genre; it is just comfortable for me. I know not everyone feels this way, but it is something I have really noticed about myself over the years. I'm not sure if it is just the way it pours out of me, without having to really think hard about writing in this form, or if I just enjoy writing about my own personal experiences and daily life. There is very little one has to learn when pouring out their emotions and feelings, and describing to a tee every little detail about an object or event. Tompkins (2012) does a fine job explaining the descriptive genre, "...involves using words to paint a memorable picture and evoke a distinctive mood. Students need to be keen observers, attentive to word choices and sensory images...(p. 136). Tompkins (2012) goes on to explain the expository genre as "factual; its purpose is to convey information about the world...it is used to explain something, provide instruction, or present information" (p.202). These types of writing are much easier to not only understand as an individual, but also easier to explain to young children.
Throughout the semester, and after listening to group presentations on these genres, I do believe I have a much deeper understanding of these way of writing. The strategies and ways to implement these genres in the classroom was a very rich tool for me to bring on my journey to becoming a classroom teacher. I feel that the groups (and the readings!) did a wonderful job preparing me for ways to introduce and teach children of all ages, how to write effectively in these genres. When all the pieces of the puzzle came together, which the readings and the presentations did beautifully, I was able to get a deeper meaning of the different types of writing.
With this being said, the genres I do not feel comfortable with are the poetry and persuasive ways of writing. Growing up in elementary school, these genres always made me feel uncomfortable and less confident in myself. To start off, poetry is one of the hardest ways to write, no matter what. I understand there are some individuals who really take a liking to poetry, and it just comes naturally to them-- I am not one of those people. If I am asked to write a poem (even a haiku or I wish poem) I freeze up, and feel as though I cannot write anything down. With this being said, I understand the fear young students may feel when they are asked to write their own poem.
Tompkins (2012) describes poetry as a
concise form that evokes readers' emotional responses.
Poets use the world in unexpected ways, and their insights
often surprise us. Some poems are serious explanations of
life's meaning, and others make us laugh with their
humorous interpretations of everyday events. Poets chose
words carefully and structure lines and stanzas in creative
ways (p.156).
Because poetry is such an emotionally charged genre, it can be tough for young students to represent how they are feeling. It is even hard for me to do at twenty four years old. To expand upon this, the group who presented on the poetry genre did a wonderful job coming up with different strategies to implement in all different types of classrooms. Educators can take and modify these strategies to fit any age group.
The persuasive genre is also one of the hardest genres; in my opinion, to not only learn as a student, but to also teach. Tompkins (2012) explains "Writers' ability to tailor writing to fit their audience is arguably more important in persuasive writing than in other genres because writers can judge how effective their writing is by readers' reactions" (p.252). This statement is certainly true-- the writer has to take a stance on an issue, give reasons to back up their claim and try to persuade the reader to feel the same way, along with making them want to take a stand. Now, as a young student, this is not something that comes easily. Even today, when I am asked to write a paper stating my position on a topic, I feel very uneasy. It is not a natural way to write, in my opinion. However, Tompkins (2012) also states, "persuasion is a part of everyday life...As students write persuasive letters and essays, they learn to think critically, differentiate between persuasion and propaganda, analyze arguments, and use oral and written language effectively in their appeals" (p. 252). The persuasive genre was my own expert group project, and although I did feel I learned a lot from our research, it still does not make me feel at ease when I am asked to either teach this to young children, or to write in this way for my own purposes.
I am glad you can now better understand why you have feelings of unease with the genres of poetry and persuasion, Kristine. I encourage you to make it your professional goal to seek out more examples of model texts (both from those Tompkins lists) and looking to the International Reading Association's yearly booklists so you can keep exposing yourself to these types of texts as well as having lots of examples for your students to use as models for their own writing processes.
ReplyDelete