Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Persuasive Genre


Last class, my group members and I presented the persuasive genre to our peers. As many of you already may know, this genre is certainly one of the hardest genres of writing to grasp as a student, but also to teach young children. For one reason being, the persuasive genre forces us to take a stand about an issue or topic, and either defend or oppose it; while still stating both viewpoints of the issue. As a young child, this is a difficult way to write; especially because of how egocentric we are at a young age. Secondly, this genre is sometimes overlooked compared to the others, leaving it to fourth and fifth grades, when students do not want to write in this way.

 I can remember back to my own school years when I was asked to write in this type of a manner. It usually started with a groan, and feelings of frustration, anger, and resentment towards my teacher. WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME WRITE LIKE THIS?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WORKS! After deciding on my topic of interest, I would fill out the graphic organizers, state my position, list all the reasons why, and then refute it. This was so mind boggling for me because I did not understand why I had to list the reasons against my own opinion. I believed my own ideas and thoughts were the only thing that mattered, and that is why someone should just spring to action! After years and years of being forced to write in this way, it finally became easier, and not as painful. I would argue why smoking was a terrible habit, why we should save the rain forest, why my curfew should be pushed back in high school, and why I should be accepted into the Nazareth College Graduate program for literacy. My continuing practice of the persuasive genre allowed me to fine-tune my argumentative skills, and taught me to fight for what I truly believe in. In saying this, I understand how students may feel overwhelmed when they are assigned a paper or project such as this, because it really is a different way of thinking. However; if I had not learned to write in this genre at an early age, I cannot say I would be able to write competently in the persuasive genre today.

 Tompkins (2012) states "persuasion is a part of everyday life...As students write persuasive letters and essays, they learn to think critically, differentiate between persuasion and propaganda, analyze arguments, and use oral and written language effectively in their appeals" (p. 252).  This genre is defined as being so difficult because, "persuasive writing requires a more elaborate organization than the simplistic, formulaic five-paragraph theme. In persuasive writing, students devise ways to introduce an argument, present supporting reasons, draw conclusions, and persuade the reader to accept the writer's viewpoint" (Tompkins, 2012, p. 255). In keeping these quotes in mind, my question to educators is why not teach this genre at an earlier age? Isn’t there a way we can modify and differentiate the instruction so students can be introduced to this earlier? It would be SO BENEFICIAL!!

 It is very interesting to me how much television, radio, and the internet persuades the everyday person on a daily basis. As we pointed out in our presentation, large brands such as proactive, NIKE, Victoria's Secret, Snicker's, etc. throw celebrities, clever slogans, and different uses of propaganda in our faces each day to get us to buy their products. Why not teach our students about this in school so they too can be aware of it? Growing up, I could not conceptualize just how much I was being persuaded into something just because Britney Spears was on the commercial for it, or how I wanted to go to the mall to buy a sweater because my favorite celebrity was seen wearing it in a magazine. It is important as educators that we teach our younger generations about the power of persuasion, and how it can be used in a negative fashion.

 Overall, I think the presentation went very well. But what I took most out of the experience was how much knowledge I gained about the persuasive genre. It is definitely a tough genre for me to not only write in, but also instruct children. I believe by completing this project, I was able to find out why it is so difficult, and come up with inventive strategies to help struggling students with. My favorite activity was the cookie activity-- this was such a creative way to get our peers thinking of persuasion. I loved hearing the reasons as to why our group should have given them the cookies. GREAT REASONS, GIRLS! :) Were there any other strategies or activities to teach students the persuasive genre that you might know about?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This was your best entry yet Kristine. You really allowed yourself to use writing to reflect on what you've learned about persuasive writing and to reconsider your past experiences/beliefs in view of your new understandings. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete